Tuesday, July 17, 2007

South African Trip

So in case anyone is wondering why Amy and I are not traveling too much this summer it is b/c we are saving up time and money for our big South African trip in October. For two weeks we will be out on safari's, tasting wines and hanging out on the Cape Town beaches. The one piece of equipment we do need to get before going is an excellent camera with good zoom. I have visions on putting together slide shows for the plasma at home that will look like planet earth images, I am talking HD quality. Does anyone know if that is possible for a camera that is less than $500-1,000?


I want a picture like the one below while sitting safely in a truck 100' away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this island isn't too far from Cape Town. Just keep that in mind if you decide to try surfing or water skiing or basically anything that involves going in the water.

Click Here for Air Jaws

Andy said...

Keith,

I have NO idea when it comes to cameras, but I did see some reviews on PC Mag's website.

This one is a point-and-shoot superzoom:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2078679,00.asp

This one is a D-SLR (which I also have no idea what that means, but I am fairly certain you can swap out lenses on this one)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2026752,00.asp

Hope this points you in the right direction!

Andy

Keith said...

So it turns out that you can rent these very expensive cameras, which turns out with a good lens cost $1,200+...so I am working with a place near my office to rent one as well as take a class or two so I can actually make the thing work....check out the shop and thank for the helpful hints. http://www.nycv.com/

Anonymous said...

When did you start working for National Geographic? The only way you're going to get a picture that's in any way similar to that of the lion resting is if you have the presence of mind to whip the camera around when the beast is chasing your ass back to the Land Rover. No zoom lens needed...the lion will take care of that for you!