Sunday, November 23, 2008

Imersion Blenders are Cool

So Amy and I decided to make soup tonight with the butternut squash we got from the CSA last week. So after looking up a recipe with voice search on my iPhone (Google is really amazing in the pace in which they bring out innovation that makes my life easier). So we stopped at Wegman's in NJ on the way back from babysitting for Zoey last night, to pick up an onion and a couple of the other basics we needed. After simmering the ingredients the recipe called for moving to a food processor to puree. It was while contemplating the idea of pouring very hot, chunky liquid into that relatively small bowl that I remembered our immersion blender in the pantry. It is such a cool device, just plug it in and stick it in the piping hot pot of soup and after a minute or two all the squash and apple was rendered into a delicious and creamy soup that had no cream, so it is rather healthy.

In fact I am looking forward to putting some in a Nalgene, once it cools, to bring to work for lunch tomorrow. A Nalgene you might ask why I need such a heavy duty container. That would be because I am going to ride in tomorrow. In fact I am heading down to the storage unit right now to get my snowboard mittens and headlamp. That last piece of equipment is being added to the list as my return trip home last week was in near pitch black. And for the 7 miles I am on the Wissahickon trail the overhead lights are sporadic at best, resulting in significant sections where I could not see at all, made for an interesting and adrenaline filled ride.

Enjoy the short week ahead, I will be counting the days until I get to fry three turkeys for Amy's family, delicious times.

3 comments:

Katie said...

The soup sounds awesome Keith! Did you get to make the asian slaw with with cabbage from CSA??

We will miss you and Amy at Thanksgiving, but are looking forward to hanging out at Christmas time!

Cousin Kate

Keith said...

We did make all 5lbs of it and managed to eat it all before it went bad. For reference your recipe called for 1lb of cabbage, once sliced the gigantic one we got from the CSA was 5lbs. That was 2 large mixing bowls of delicious slaw.

Katie said...

That is awesome!!