Monday, November 17, 2008

Top things I miss when biking to work

So the top things I miss when I bike into work on a day like today (temperature at 6:30am was 36F) are in no particular order:
  • Heated seats, the Mazda has wonderful heated seats, the bike not so much
  • No wind on my hands. I had anticipated this, so I bought these fancy new wind stopper bike gloves, which are not nearly substantial enough. My hands were frozen by the Falls River Bridge. Time to break out the snowboard mittens
  • Being able to enjoy my travel mug of coffee on the way into work

For balance I guess I should also have a list of the things I miss when I drive to work:

  • The great scenery along the Wissahickon, I could technically glance at it while on Lincoln drive but taking your eyes off the road for even a second there is a death defying act
  • Stopping at the Valley Green Inn to have a "breakfast" of a frozen Clif bar from my pocket and some very cold water, is really quite enjoyable

The real test is going to come on the way home tonight, it will be much darker than it was this morning and I will be much more tired. The break I took for the couple of weeks before the wedding to avoid the possibility of road rash at the wedding has left me pretty out of shape. Maybe tonight I test the Regional Rail option? You will all have to wait with great suspense to find out my choice.

2 comments:

Ellyn said...

im impressed you got your ass on a bike being that it was 36 degrees this morning. More power to you man.

Anonymous said...

I give it another two rides before you get your ass back in the Mazda...