Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Green Commuting - I'm a fan!

I got it in my head that there were two changes I wanted to make in my life:

1) I wanted to get back to better shape, after my surgery I really took it as a huge excuse to not work out at all.
2) Commute more efficiently to save gas and $s, and in the short term I thought that meant working from home, which is a great option I am taking advantage of at least once every two weeks, technology is great.

However I realized this week there is a way I can accomplish both in one action, bike to work. So since this morning was going to be the last low humidity morning in Philly in the next 10 days, and maybe until September, and it is the last day before a holiday weekend, I thought there is no better time than the present. So I fixed the flat tire on the mountain bike last night, packed a back pack and struck out at 6:45 this morning.

My route was 15.8 miles (thank you Google Maps) I took the trail along the Kelly drive trail along the Schuylkill to Forbidden Drive along the Wissahickon Creek, up Bells Mills Lane through Flourtown and into the office, all in only 75 minutes. After a quick shower in the gym here I was at my desk earlier than I have been in months. And having my bike parked next to my desk has a certain cool factor to it. So in short if you have a bike and a desire to be more active try bike commuting, I am a fan. Although I do still have to make it home this afternoon...maybe I will take time to enjoy the scenery (code for I will be going slow b/c my legs are on fire...)

Check out my approximate route here. (Google can not map the trail along the Wissahickon as cars are not permitted)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh. But Google Earth could.

I can't speak from experience since I don't have one, but wouldn't a road bike on paved roads be faster/easier?

I'm sure Al Gore is very proud of you, tree hugger!

Kristin said...

I live less than 5 miles from work and I still drive.

It's mostly because we have no shower facilities at work and I don't like the idea of stinking up the office all day, but I also don't work in what you'd call a "great" or "extremely safe" part of the city.

Though I consider these okay reasons for driving, it still really bothers me that I do, so I sincerely applaud your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Nice work. I trump all of you in the 'proximity to work' category. I live ONE mile from work and rarely bike to work. Am I lazy? Yes. Is there a huge ass hill that needs to be climbed going home everyday? Yes. The commute is one mile, but it just so happens to be nearly vertical.

By the way, how did you fix the flat tire--duct tape? Thought so, Eagle Scout.